Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolbreaker toolbreaker is offline

Default Fabricating a sauna wood burning stove

On Nov 22, 8:34*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:48:07 -0600, Don Foreman

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:15:27 -0800 (PST), rashid111
wrote:

Folx,

been looking long & hard for a pre-fab. At this point, thinking about
welding it up myself.
Will order pre-cut sheets of 3/16" mild hot rolled steel from
onlinemetals or a similar joint.

What is that black *heat resistant exterior (paint?) they use on
commercial
stoves ? Can one apply it at a home shop ? Since it is for a russian-
style sauna, it might get occasional drop of water here and there.

Russian-style sauna? *Sauna is a Finnish word and a Finnish cultural
tradition. *Finns I knew about had no use at all for the freakin'
Russians. *My grandfather could barely say Russian without spitting.

Russian-style sauna: Chernobyl. *

(Kids: Don't try this at home.)

Perhaps you might consult a Finn about how to treat the metal on your
sauna stove. *Hint: *not paint.

Blackening of steel can be done with a liquor made from black walnut
shells. *It can also be done simply with heat. *The result is quite
similar to blueing on firearms. *Firearms are blued with salts to keep
the temperature down to where it doesn't screw up the properties of
the metal, but that doesn't matter at all on a sauna stove. *

Acids or bases can blacken metal, too. I wonder if this is an approved
method for saunas. *Hmm, I haven't seen any ads to "Parkerize Your
Sauna", have you?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim- Hide quoted text -

II designed and built a wood burning sauna stove about 10 years ago.
I laid out the stove on a cad system then had the parts cut out with a
laser. I used 1/8 P&O cold rolled steel plate. I keyed the parts to
hold them aligned and also had some alignment tools cut out with the
job. I went through 10 lbs of wire welding it up but I had fun. It
has been in service since. Didn't bother painting it.

The design included a door and chimney in the front of the stove that
was outside so the sauna side did not get any smoke. I placed a
flange separation the front and back which was attached to the
wall.