Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Noisy small equipment fans

You, likewise, have used a lotta words, apparently expecting them to make
sense.

You're guaranteed nothing in life, other than eventual death. -- Bottom
Line
That applies in real life, with absolute certainty.

You can read all the datasheets and product descriptions you can find, and
unless you're buying life-critical medical, or military/areospaced
certified/qualified parts, you may get any quality or defect that happens to
be available.

Never saw this disclaimer?
Specifications subject to change.
Without notice.

Once a catalog is printed, and on many websites, specs don't get edited as
product changes are made.
Manufacturers change product specs routinely.. not neccessarily to defraud
anyone, but because their suppliers substitute the materials/parts they buy
to make their products.

Product changes are made even after design specifications are submitted and
approved (wrt product emissions) by Federal agencies such as the FCC.

Substitutions are often used to fill orders.

DigiKey sells first rate, quality products.. but they aren't certified, so
don't tell me that your expectations are guaranteed to be fulfilled.

--
WB

news
On 2010-11-22, Wild_Bill wrote:
I know you'll do what's best.. and also know you're fulla****, because
you've bought numerous auction items, and most/many times, you didn't
know
precisely what you would be getting.

Pick another argument, genius.

I don't own an inverter (but have repaired several for friends), and
therefore don't know how long one would need 120VAC from a 12VDC? source,
since I have DC/DC converters for my portable equipment.

IME, many of the mainland China sellers sell a lot of crap, and numerous
domestic sellers that sell only junk products sell crap, but sellers that
sell mostly quality stuff frequently have quality items and no crap.

But that's just my experience, and I've bought a lot of stuff, and much
of
it is parts and and miscellaneous components, however my buying decisions
aren't primarily made on the price of the items.

Searching on eBay (or many places online) by specific product
specifications
isn't easy.
DigiKey presents product specs, although it's not common from most retail
sites (which D-K isn't).

It's likely that the original 40mm fan in the inverter was actually worth
about 50 cents.
If I only owned 1 piece of equipment that had a 40mm fan in it, I might
consider buying 1 fan.. as it is, there are about 30 of 'em just in this
room - in removable HDD trays, video surveillance DVRs, mobile DVRs,
VCRs/AVTRs, soldering stations and various other equipment.

You said a lot of words, but all to no logical end.

The bottom line is that it makes no sense to try to save $3 and get
who knows what, as opposed to spending $11.40 at Digikey and get a fan
with guaranteed specs of 20 dB and 50,000 hours of life, and have it
delivered on Wednesday.