Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fabricating a sauna wood burning stove

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:48:07 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:15:27 -0800 (PST), rashid111
wrote:

Folx,

been looking long & hard for a pre-fab. At this point, thinking about
welding it up myself.
Will order pre-cut sheets of 3/16" mild hot rolled steel from
onlinemetals or a similar joint.

What is that black heat resistant exterior (paint?) they use on
commercial
stoves ? Can one apply it at a home shop ? Since it is for a russian-
style sauna, it might get occasional drop of water here and there.

Russian-style sauna? Sauna is a Finnish word and a Finnish cultural
tradition. Finns I knew about had no use at all for the freakin'
Russians. My grandfather could barely say Russian without spitting.

Russian-style sauna: Chernobyl.

(Kids: Don't try this at home.)

Perhaps you might consult a Finn about how to treat the metal on your
sauna stove. Hint: not paint.

Blackening of steel can be done with a liquor made from black walnut
shells. It can also be done simply with heat. The result is quite
similar to blueing on firearms. Firearms are blued with salts to keep
the temperature down to where it doesn't screw up the properties of
the metal, but that doesn't matter at all on a sauna stove.

Acids or bases can blacken metal, too. I wonder if this is an approved
method for saunas. Hmm, I haven't seen any ads to "Parkerize Your
Sauna", have you?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim