Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Furnace question

On 11/22/2010 6:33 AM, RBM wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
On Nov 21, 6:45 pm, wrote:
On 11/21/2010 6:06 PM, Michael B wrote:

Anybody happen to know how much initial startup amperage
is used for a furnace just coming on, starting its vent motor,
and running the glow starter for a gas furnace?
I'm needing to know what a reasonable generator capacity
would be without overdoing it.
Thanks.

Tables like this will help:

http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/gener...quirements.htm

My generator 5,500 watts, 7,350 starting watts, handles my furnace,
well, refrigerator, freezer, several lights and a TV. Not hooked up are
electric water heater, central AC, electric stove and clothes dryer, the
big energy hogs.

Well, what you are describing is what I want to avoid.
Typical motor for running one of those is a 10HP unit.
If I can do what I need with a 2HP, my fuel will last longer.
Run the furnace till the temperature is where I need it,
with sweaters, switch it over to the freezer each day,
then to the refrigerator and be frugal about opening it,
and use candles when necessary.
Yeah, I know a refrigerator has a high startup surge.
But a lot of the stuff can be in the freezer for a while.

The furnace says it has a total input of 6.8 amps. But
I'm needing to know if the glow ignitor has needs that
would transiently exceed that. Because if it doesn't,
I could run it on a single kilowatt generator. Bet I could
run my freezer on a lot less.

Neighbor across the street has generator half the size of mine and gets
by but said if he had to do it over, he would have gotten larger one.
Depends what your needs/wants are.