Posted to rec.woodworking
allen476 allen476 is offline

Default Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookcase advice....

On Nov 21, 9:02*pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
Tight budget, and I'm a novice diy'er.

My wife wants my to build a wall to wall bookcase that is floor to ceiling.
There will actually be 3 sections because we want the end sections to have
workstation or desks. *They will be fastened to the wall. * My wife and her
family suggested I make everything out of MDF which is cheep, easy to treat
and easy to by decorative faces and mouldings for.

However I'd like to seek opinions on how long 5/8" or 3/4" MDF will last if
two adults and two kids use this type of configuration for 20 or 25 years or
hopefully 40 years?. *What's the life span of MDF for this type of
application? *We are in Ontario Canada so air conditioning 3 months a year
and forced air heating for 7 months a year from a humidity standpoint. *Is
there plywood that is affordable and nice to prime and paint and that we can
nail some mdf moulds to? *Melamine is prolly out of the question cause of
looks and it's really tough to paint ( it's a home office library, not a
kitchen)

This room will be used a lot we think.

How big is the wall?

Allen