Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default better wire stripper and crimp pins

On 2010-11-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
My horrible fright quality wire stripper has worn out... Its a pliers
action that clamps then brings two blades on the wire before pulling.
For stripping #22 to #28 wire, what's a good unit?

I'm in love with the D-sub crimper DoN put me on to.

I thought that you would be, once you used it. :-)

I used to tin the
ends of very small wire before putting in a terminal strip. Today, I
just crimped D-sub pins on. Quicker and better than tinning. But, made
me wonder, is there a crimp product made just for terminal strip
insertion?

Which kind of terminal strip? Forked terminals are good for
strips like the Jones Barrier strips. The best are the kind (AMP makes
them, of course) which have little bulges on the tips so you can snap
them over the loosened screw shank, and wait until you have one or two
more snapped in place before tightening.

Now -- I've seen crimp on terminals for the kind of strip which
normally accepts bare wire -- but I don't know where to get them. They
were of the Type-F (flag) crimp -- similar to but not identical to the
D-sub terminals. Probably AMP/Tyco makes them, but you would need an
industrial catalog to find them -- and then the trick is to find the
right crimper at eBay prices. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564