Walker

Default OT - Is this representative of US public opinion? UK Newspaper Front Page

It's like the old saying -- "There are lies, damn lies ... and statistics".
:-)

I don't think the article was an attempt to represent American opinion. I
think it was pointing out information. As far as whether most Americans
would be nooding or shaking their heads when they read the information is
debatable.

As the national politicians are well aware, the country is very evenly split
between Democrats and Republicans these days. The party that wins the
presidency is the one that doesn't lose it's members to a 3rd party
candidate. (Perot & Buchanon during Clinton years & Nadar during Bush).

Bush has to hype terrorism because that's his angle for keeping Republicans
in line (and you can be sure that events will lead to it being center stage
come the next election). How else can Bush keep conservatives voting for him
when he shows no fiscal responsibility with his deficit spending, greatly
increases the intrusion of the federal government through federal education
programs and medicine entitlements, does nothing to protect blue collar jobs
or discourage overseas outsourcing, and throws open American borders to
illegal immigration in order to pander to the hispanic vote?

"Noel Hegan" wrote in message
om...
This was on the front page of my newspaper today as a "introduction"
to the Bush state of the nation speech. From an American point of view
how does it read? Is it a true representation of the Bush
administration and the US economy? This is not in anyway a political
post,I've just an interest in world affairs.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=482947

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net