Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default hot water heat leak

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:58:54 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:10:33 -0600, "Pete C."

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:46:15 -0600, "Pete C."

Lead free is not required on non-potable water - and lead solder is a
LOT easier to work with in this application.

You won't find lead solder at the big box stores, and in my experience
the lead-free solder works equally well on potable water copper pipes or
hydronic heating copper pipes.
Or equally poorly.

I guess if you're still trying to use Propane or are just bad at
soldering plumbing. I use MAPP and have never had any problem with the
lead-free solder or lead-free flux paste, and I've replumbed entire
houses.

I use map or air/acet torches and still prefer leaded solder. The
newer lead-free stuff IS better than the earlier stuff. A lot likely
has to do with the newer flux.

I didn't think you could still get leaded solder. Where do you buy it?
Preferably online so I can order some to have on hand