Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default Fabricating a sauna wood burning stove

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 04:38:06 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 20, 11:49*pm, Sunworshipper wrote:
Don't put anything on the metal. Everything should be inert.
Cedar/Redwood interior, metal, and lava/river rocks. Paint or what
ever will just make it stink and unhealthy.

SW

Stove blacking does smell but it's not that bad and doesn't last for
long. Black stovepipe also smells a little at first.

jsw

Last year I bought an inline stove pipe heat extractor for the house
and the wife pitched a fit about something within the cautions.
Anyhow, for some reason that receipt just disappeared and the hardware
store wouldn't take it back. So, I put it in the shop, that thing
stunk for at least three days and is a piece of junk, I can exhale
harder than that thing can blow air.

Sure black stove pipe looks cool after ya burn it all off, looks like
something from the turn of the other century. But I wouldn't want to
be in a little steamy hot box with paint burning slowly off.

I've built and assembled many saunas and use to service them along
with spas and the dreaded swimming pools. I still have nightmares and
cringe every time I walk by pool supplies in stores.

Every time I hear the word sauna it reminds me of a very good lesson.
I was replacing a thermostat that some idiot had put right through the
middle of the main power box at a resort. My boss told me over the
radio that he just turned off the main power that fed the box and it
was ok to continue. Well this baby had 440 relays and all kinds of
stuff in it, so I almost got to the probe and the copper line
obviously made contact and a huge blinding light later assured me from
that day onward that I would never trust another person again that the
power is off, crap.

That boss was really quiet after that, btw. He got his later. A friend
and coworker had a meeting with him and the rest of the family to
conspire against me. They proposed that he could do both of our jobs
with lots of over time, a huge raise, and a percentage of the parts he
sold in the field. So he says yeah I'll do it. So they came back and
canned me flat and told me to hit the road for no reason. I was ****ed
and just plane sick of that family business anyhow. I wasn't home but
for an hour and the co-worker shows up with a bunch of beer and told
me he just went along with them and strung them along to see if they
would really fire me, as soon as he had heard the news he told them to
**** off, now they didn't have anyone to do all the work.

SW