Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Noisy small equipment fans

Only about 2 months ago, I was looking on eBay for some 40x10mm ball bearing
fans and saw ****loads of 40x20 units.

The higher prices were about $6 each, and I selected 10 with an individual
price of a under $3 each, with reasonable shipping. If the equipment I was
buying them for didn't have size constraints, I would've bought the 40x20
units.
I don't remember the name now, but the individual wrappers were marked with
an equipment manufacturer's name and stock number (Cisco maybe), not just
cheap bulk crap.

There are some eBay sellers that are very flexible on item prices for
quantities when they use the -or- Make Offer feature. I'll generally ask
about a quantity of items.. 10-50 (not 2 or 3) to make the total amount more
appealing to the seller.

I like buying DigiKey products because I believe it turns over fairly
quickly, not ever likely to receive any 5 year old capacitors they haven't
sold out of yet, for example.. but I kinda doubt that the D-K fans are of
extremely high reliability, but maybe they are.
If they were described as Swiss or German manufacture, maybe.

--
WB

On 2010-11-21, wrote:
Rattling is usually bad, means the bearing is going or gone. Can also
be something stuck in the works.

OK, thanks to all. I took apart the car inverter. The fan in it is
"SP402012H", which means 40x40x20 12v fan. The fan blade inside seems to
be very freely moving about where it is mounted.

There are many replacements on digikey, including quiet, ball bearing,
etc. They all cost 11-12 bucks. Considering that I have a replacement
inverter, this makes replacement kind of questionable economically.
Since I took the thing apart anyway, I just might replace the fan for
my education.

So far I like Digikey item P12820-ND the most, as it is only 20 dB
(quiet),
is ball bearing, costs $11.44 etc.

Item:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...emSeq=93316702