Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Compressor Air Regulator

On 11/16/2010 10:32 PM, Joe wrote:
On Nov 16, 2:05 pm, Tony wrote:
Not exactly home repair but many of you have air compressors.

I'm fixing up an old Sears compressor and the regulator is broken. I
got a "Campbell Hausfeld 3/8" air regulator" at Tractor supply. It had
already been open but it was the only one in stock. Tried it and it
didn't work. Adjust it either way and it always put out full air pressure.

Stopped at Lows and got another one, looks identical but with the
"Kobalt" name. This one seemed OK, then it started leaking. Adjusting
it up and down a few times stripped the plastic adjustment knob so now
it can't be adjusted even if it didn't leak.

So where do I find a good regulator? Harbor Freights "Industrial Air
Filter Regulator Unit Item # 98904 Manufacturer: Central Pneumatic
regulator" isn't rated very high.

Auto body supply stores will carry the good stuff, usually Milton,
Devillbis, and similar. Pay a little more and get something that
works.

I installed a Milton a few days ago and it's been working like a charm.
I did buy it at a local auto body store. It has some plastic, but
nothing like the Cambell Hausfeld junk. Price was fair also, the CH was
about $30 and the Milton was about $50. Well worth every penny of the
price difference.