Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default If consumer unit moved, cables would be too short. solution?

On 21/11/2010 12:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/11/2010 19:44, fjk61011 wrote:
If our consumer unit is moved by about a metre/3' 3" the upstairs
circuit cables would be too short to reach the CU. Would all the
upstairs cables have to be replaced or could the cables be extended by
jointing cables?

You can join them. Neatest solution is a dedicated enclosure with say
DIN rail terminals. However junction boxes are fine if you are not
planning on plastering over them. There are also plenty of other
enclosures you can use with wago terminals or crimps etc.

As I read the original post we are talking about household ring cables
rather than tails or anything else carrying particularly high currents.
These are jointed all over the place. Unless they are going to be
inaccessible surely junction boxes would suffice. Also gives a means of
disconnecting individual circuits if this is ever required.