Posted to uk.d-i-y
Duncan Di Saudelli Duncan Di Saudelli is offline

Default If consumer unit moved, cables would be too short. solution?

Crimps are inferior in every way apart from saving time and money.

That's not the whole story though.Whilst it is faster and therefore cheaper
to crimp , and I agree that apprenticeships used to teach making-off methods
for cables (and indeed peope like BBC and MOD and BT had their own manuals
for such tasks, and today companies still use such methods), I have read
studies which show the crimping method to provide better reliability.

Firstly, the joint between the cable conductors and the crimp is a cold-weld
meaning a gas-tight joint with little or no chance of moisture ingress -
solder is often full of pinholes (we're on about good joints which contain
voids, not dry joints) which let in moisture and also may self-contain flux
residues which can break down over time.

Secondly, a solder-joint gives a mechanical point of weakness whereby
vibration causes a fracture whereas with a crimp the crimp itself provides a
degree of strain relief.

Thirdly, repeatability is improved with crimping.

DDS