Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Noisy small equipment fans

On Nov 18, 5:48*pm, Ignoramus5827
wrote:
I have a couple of devices with very noisy and annoying fans. One is
an old laptop and another is a car inverter. In both, fans make a very
annoying, inconsistent, and rattling sound. Before taking those things
apart etc, I wanted to double check what is the typical cause of this
and how to deal with them.

Rattling is usually bad, means the bearing is going or gone. Can also
be something stuck in the works. Laptops present problems because
fans are usually a custom component, sometimes integrated with a
heatsink and/or heatpipe that feeds from the CPU. There are online
laptop boneyards for some parts, you'd have to google the exact
model. I've had some luck with sleeve-bearing fans taking them apart,
cleaning the shafts and fan blades, then relubing and reassembling
them. I don't use them again in critical locations. Standard size
fans can be had for cheap off the internet, I usually buy them by the
dozen. Noisy ones get replaced as and when needed. Watch the bearing
types, noise and air movement ratings.

Stan