Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default HOT WATER ON DEMAND, HEATERS

On Nov 20, 12:26*pm, " wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:30*pm, wrote:

On Nov 20, 11:32*am, harry wrote:

On Nov 20, 3:25*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:

Maybe you've spoke of this subject B-4.

But I see Lowes big box store has a variety of instant hot water
heaters. The one like Rinnai sp...

Are these water heaters worth the price to switch out from a water tank?

There are various models and prices...
Have you had any experience with any at all? Are they efficient? Is
Rinnai the only one to trust?

Seems to me that a great deal of money can be saved using these heat on
demand
units...am I wrong?

Please comment on what you know.

And I thank you for any input...

Pat in Denver

The saving with instantaneous heaters is that you don't incutt
"standing losses", ie heat losses from a tank of hot water standing
around.
The amount you save depends on your usage pattern. *If you use little
hot water and the hot water tank is permanently on, then there are big
savings to make.
They also depend on how well your tank is insulated.
Losses from instantaneous water heaters are virtually nil.
Losses from stored water heaters are almost constant regardless of how
much you use.

Make up your mind Harry.

1 - *First you said the essential difference was the standby losses.
2 - Then you said how much you save depends on your usage patterns.
3 - And then you said losses from tank heaters are almost constant
regardless of how much you use.

For the record, I agree with 1 and 3.

For me, I look at my gas bill in summer, when all gas is used for is
the water heater and my outdoor gas grill. *It's about $17 or so a
month and that is with a std efficiency water heater. That includes
those standby losses and usage. *I could surely do better with a high
efficiency tank type. * *From that, I've concluded if I need a new
one, I'd go with a tank type higher efficiency one.

One simple test to settle the standby loss issue would be to read the
gas meter before going away for a few days to a week. *Before doing
that, draw enough water to fire it up. * Upon returning, see how much
gas it used.

or tturn existing tank to vacation, come back a day or two later.

how warm is the water?

standby losses are overstated, in a heated basement standby loss helps
to keep your home warm in winter..- Hide quoted text -

The heat goes up the chimney on the uninsulated center, Tank EF
ratings are 55-83. tankless are 82-96, 15-35% are standby losses.
Again you continously post wrong info.