Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.

In making such a device, it would very likely need to be fabricated from
titanium to work properly.

--
WB

"engineman" wrote in message
Last night at a meeting I was introduced to the Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.
It is a simple device that has been around for a long time but I
hadn't heard of it before. It is a wooden stick 5/16" dia. and 5"
long. The one I was given has 8 notches on it 5/16" apart and 1 /16"
deep.It has a simple propeller- like spinner on one end 1-1/2" long.
When you rub a wooden stick or similar object along the notches the
spinner rotates. The faster you rub, the faster it rotates.the
direction of rotation is determined by where you place your fingers.
Can anyone tell me how it works?
I searched extensively on google and found a lot of references to it
but no one seemed to know what makes it work.

http://bobscrafts.com/bobstuff/geehaw.htm

Also I'm wondering if it would work if made of aluminum?

Engineman