Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HDMI VS Componet Video

On Nov 20, 11:47*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
ROANIN wrote:
*OK so what is a "High quality" HDMI cable consist of? They all say
they are the best thing since sliced bread and the prices are all
over the place.

I don't know any brands (other than to avoid monster like the plague), as HD
isn't my thing. *If you are looking for one, go to where HD guys hang out,
and ask there. *Maybe poke around newegg and see what the geeks say has the
best bang for the buck.

In other words, not the most expensive, and not the cheapest. *Find one in
the middle that everyone says is a damn fine cable. *They might even have it
at walmart.

Jon

It's a digital protocol and interface. For the typical 3-7 feet cable
run, how much you pay or what HDMI cable you use i not going to make
any difference. The cable doesn't affect the quality of the A/D or D/
A conversion unless the signal degrades so badly that the receiving
end can't distinguish a high level, ie "1" from a low level signal, ie
"0". That;s one of the great advantages of digital. If you're going
50+ feet, then I'd consider cable issues.

As for HDMI vs component, except for the HDMI cable part, I agree with
John. With HDMI, the conversion from digital to analog occurs in the
display. With component, it occurs in the cable,sat box, or DVD
player. So, it can depend on the quality of one of those converters
versus the other. But in general, I doubt you'd notice the
difference. I've tried both on my 42" Sony and I can't notice any
difference in picture quality.