Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default HDMI VS Componet Video

ROANIN wrote:
What is the difference between HDMI and Component Video. I recently
bought an HDMI cable and hooked it up from my cable box to my HD TV.
It was not a MONSTER cable as they are stupidly overpriced etc. It
was just a normal one. The results as viewed by myself and my wife
was that the Component video source from the cable box looks just as
good if not better than the HDMI feed. ( these component cables were
left with my by Time Warner when they delivered the HD DVR) Any
explanations or opinions on this.

HDMI is a digital interface. Component video is an analog interface.
Depending on your "cable box" and television, the quality of the A/D
converters, and the quality of your cables, you may find either to provide a
better image.

Generally, in an all digital train, you would use a high quality (NOT
monster) HDMI interface, especially at higher resolutions, to avoid D/A-A/D
loss.

Jon