Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 18, 3:41*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Nov 17, 1:28*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Oh, ye who are much smarter than *&&^%$) *Verizon (if one can ever
reach a "human'):

1. *I may have to break down and buy a new 32"TV -- which I hate to
do, given the small number of channels I watch out of the gazillion
available.

Am in throes of trying to understand the pros & cons of LCD vs LED.
The little research I have done on-line, e.g. http://www.ledvslcdtv.com/ as well as others, has left me more confused than
ever.

I don't want to spend "x" today if the technology is going to take a
quantum leap tomorrow.

Your thoughts on Led vs Lcd welcome.

2. *A supposedly knowledgeable friend told me that paying more for a
1080 pixels TV is justified only if images are transmitted in 1080.
Can images be transmitted either way? *Or is it a function of the
receiver? (Showing my ignorance g)

Your thoughts on 1080 vs 720 greatly appreciated.

HB

For 32" Go with Samsung or Panasonic, LCD, 720p, 60Hz. *For 55" Same
with LCD, LED, 1080p, 120Hz.

Thanks to all for helpful comments. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic
model suggested in this post from "Bob Vila". I don't want anything
bigger than 32" for the bedroom. I've bought very few TVs over the
years, and they have all been SONYs, but...all things must end...

In contrast with another comment on this thread about 720, Michael,
the seemingly knowledgeable TV guy at Costco , said that 720 is just
coming in on many channels (other than HBO & that ilk, which I don't
get). He said 1080 as a universal is still few years away.

Per yet another comment on this thread, Michael opined that an
average viewer (I guess that's me!) for non-sports events wouldn't be
able to tell the diff. between 720 and 1080 at the 32" size. I asked
about 1080p and 1080i. He said that 1080i is basically 720; that the
"i" means interlinear; that it doesn't refresh as fast as "real" 1080.

Costco's price, w/instant rebate, is $349 until Dec. 2. Maybe I could
get it a few bux cheaper elsewhere, but Costco is good to deal with on
many counts, including returns.

HB