Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default One Man Saw - Red Green

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:06:51 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I worked at the Ohio University School of Telecommunications. We were in
the same broadcast building a facilities as WOUB PBS radio and television,
and worked very closely together. We also had student run, university
funded radio stations, which is essentially the same thing as public
broadcasting-- a radio station subsidized by public tax dollars.

The student radio station would sell advertising to local merchants and
other companies, just like the local commercial stations. The owners of
the local commercial stations took serious issue with this, as well they
should have. Most merchants have a set percentage in their budget for
advertising. They will only spend X% on advertising. You have a publicly
subsidized radio station now competing private stations for a cut of
that percentage. That is wrong and I'm fairly certain, illegal, but gets
completely ignored.

Wow. I thought I was the only Camp OU club member in the group. I used to
live in Scott Quad when a couple guys in the dorm got the idea of broadcasting
radio via the dorm electrical circuits. They used a room back by the entrance
to the steam tunnels. That made it dry, nice and warm, and you could get to
just about any building on campus without getting wet on a rainy day, which is
how I found the room they were using in the first place.

This evolved into ACRN (All Campus Radio Network) in 1969-70 when they got the
school to help fund it. Prior to that they paid for it out of their own pockets
as I recall. They first incorporated some nearby dorms, and eventually expanded.
It was still using the wiring for broadcasting when I left the dorms. From your
post, it sounds like it has evolved into a major undertaking.

I wonder how the original founders would take it. I always had the impression
they started this as a hobby on a shoestring. I'm sure they would have taken
commercials though. They were always needing cash.

The next time you hit the town, hoist one for me at the Union or the CI.
Actually, if it's at the Union, go ahead and have one of the steamed coney dogs
for me too. The coney sauce they used way back when was the best coney sauce
in the world. If it is the same stuff, have two.

Regards,
Roy