Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hot water heat leak

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:25:31 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:49:57 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:37:37 -0500, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Karl Townsend wrote:

I've got a pin hole leak in a copper pipe on my hot water heat sytem.

Murphy is my partner. So, of course, the leak is right where the pipe
goes through the floor and you can't get at it. A proper repair is
going to mean removing the radiator above, cutting out a whole section
of pipe and replacing.

To avoid this job, does anyone suggest some sort of goo to just apply
to the surface of the pipe? Other easy fix?

Karl

Ain't no easy fix if the thing is leaking where it goes through the
floor, IMHO. Be sure to protect the new pipe from abrasion in the
floor-hole. Given that you'd need to pull the pipe to get anything on
it, no point in not just replacing it - paint won't do, and if you try
to slop enough epoxy on there to hope it will stick, it won't - the area
around the hole will be dirty and the epoxy will stick everywhere else,
making the eventual removal of the pipe more difficult when it still
leaks. For an accessible leak you can clean and shut off the water for,
epoxy can work.

Radiator stop-leak (the automotive product) might just work, and might
just cause other side effects you'd rather not have in your heating
system. There may be a version intended for heating systems with less
side effects, but it's a kludge in any case, not a repair.

"boiler sealer" used to be a common product used for that kind of
repair. "irontitie" was a common brand and is still available -. Just
checked my bottle - it says "Irontite products of Canada Ltd, 295
Norfinch Drive, Downsview Ontario."

my excitement only lasted a second. Here's what google found:
(I have baseboard raditors and a water lubricated pump)

A leak or crack in your boiler can be fixed with a simple sealer
solution. These boiler seals are designed to be used in steam or hot
water boilers. It creates a chemical seal that is tough, expands with
heat and resists pressure. Very similar to products you can purchase
for your car, the seal works by mixing with the water in the boiler
and creates a gummy seal in any cracks or small holes. The liquid
seals are not to be used in systems with water lubricated pumps, or
base board radiators. It should also not be used on excessive leaks,
as it wont work on very large cracks or holes.

Read mo
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...#ixzz15m1kuDEo

Irontite can be used in pump circulated systems as it is also sold for
use in automotive engines (and radiators) It also searves as a water
pump lubricant according to the label on the bottle.

Oh - you want the Irontite AllWeather seal, NOT the Ceramic.

My bottle is old. It's now a Kwik-Way product.