Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default hot water heat leak

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:00:23 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Nov 19, 5:12 am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I've got a pin hole leak in a copper pipe on my hot water heat sytem.

Murphy is my partner. So, of course, the leak is right where the pipe
goes through the floor and you can't get at it. A proper repair is
going to mean removing the radiator above, cutting out a whole section
of pipe and replacing.

To avoid this job, does anyone suggest some sort of goo to just apply
to the surface of the pipe? Other easy fix?

Karl

What is the floor material? The reason I ask is that you may not have
the situation others have referred to where the pipe is rotting from
the inside. I had a pipe in my house develop pinholes where it passed
through a tile/cement wall. The pipe was eaten from the outside.

can JB Weld do this fix? I've never tried it.

I found a pipe repair epoxy tape in McMaster Carr. I'll try that,
when, not if, it fails I'll call in a pro. This is the worst possible
spot. There's fifty feet of baseboard radiator all around the north
end of the house. The bad spot is right at floor level going up to
where the radiator starts. I can see no way to move the radiator
without tearing out a bunch of sheet rock walls.

Shut off the water and drain as much as you can beforehand, hoping to put it
on a dry surface with no pressure behind it. If you can get to it, sand the
outside of the tubing. Let it stand for 12 hours before pressurizing.