Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default CPC delivery charges

In message , Stephen
writes
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:56:19 +0000, chris French
wrote:

And just because a company offers free delivery for a £10 order, doesn't
mean they are making a profit on it, it might even be they make a loss
on that. It might be they use it to draw customers in, knowing that most
will put in a bigger order, or it will encourage them to come back etc.

On the last thread everyone agreed with me, this time everyone is
contradicting me! Perhaps all those in agreement are quietly emailing
cpc. This is just imho but to clarify I am not asking for free
delivery on all orders or orders over £10. I am happy for them to set
it at some higher limit but last time we all agreed £53 was too high
for that limit.

From our POV as customers yes, maybe it isn't from the POV of the
business?

One point that no-one seems to have made yet is that if the threshold
was say £30, more people might place orders. In the last thread people
said that they slowly deleted things from their cpc baskets whilst
they shopped elsewhere. I know I have deleted various screws, cables,
junction boxes etc recently having bought them from Screwfix instead.
If free delivery happened at £30 then I might place four £30 orders;
that's £120 for cpc. As it is, I place one £60 order and get free
delivery and the other £60 gets spent at Screwfix. I still feel CPC
would get more business if they set the threshold slightly lower.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the principle, what we don't
know is the customer profile, order profile etc. Maybe CPC think it's
not worth their while? Or maybe their business is not quite so
competitive as the SCrewfix/Toolstation type market so they do think
they need to go down that route?

--
Chris French