Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default OT Clocks

On 11/18/2010 6:26 PM, Bill Gill wrote:
-

My television knows the time and date. Dunno how. And also the dvd
player/recorder. It knows about Winter and Summer time and leap years.
I wonder what else it knows.

My DVR knows the time and date because it gets them from the cable
provider. My TV doesn't. It is supposed to get it from the local
PBS station, but it has never worked right for me.

Bill

It worked for me when OTA transmission was analog. Any device (TV, VCR,
DVR) that only has a NTSC tuner will no longer be able to automatically
set the time for it's built-in clock. I don't have any ATSC device that
claims to be able to set it's clock from OTA digital transmission
signals, so I don't know if that feature still exists with OTA-only
devices.

Anyone know if a time signal is still included in the OTA digital TV
signal? (I'm not talking about the visually displayed time that can be
checked by looking at the on-screen broadcast schedule page that many
converter boxes and digital TV devices have as a feature. I'm talking
about a synchronization signal intended to set built-in clocks.)