Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
IanM[_4_] IanM[_4_] is offline

Default hot water heat leak

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got a pin hole leak in a copper pipe on my hot water heat sytem.

Murphy is my partner. So, of course, the leak is right where the pipe
goes through the floor and you can't get at it. A proper repair is
going to mean removing the radiator above, cutting out a whole section
of pipe and replacing.

To avoid this job, does anyone suggest some sort of goo to just apply
to the surface of the pipe? Other easy fix?

Karl

Sucks to be you. Unless there is evidence of mechanical damage, that
means the pipe is rotted from the inside and will probably start leaking
somewhere else pretty soon and maybe even burst. Also it is probably
about as fragile as eggshells so getting a good proper repair even if
you take the floor up is problematic.

In similar circumstances, I've just drained down, cleaned the pipe
gently with wire wool and soft soldered a piece of copper foil over the
hole. There are also various epoxy pipe bandage products, but for those
you will need access right round the pipe.

With luck, it *MAY* get you through the winter so you can do some major
pipe replacement work in the spring, but I'd make sure all valuables
that are vulnerable to water damage are moved out of your ground floor,
or stored well off the floor and wrapped in heavy plastic.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL: