Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default patio door rollers

On Nov 18, 10:15*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:04:40 -0800 (PST), wndmaster

wrote:
How *do i change *the rollers *on *a very heavy patiodoor.do you pull
it toward outside *orinside?????

I got several more years out of mine by tightening the screws that are
in each end of the door. Tightening one lowers the wheel further, so
it rolls on the wheel insteal of scuffing the door itself against the
channel. * Maybe in my case they had barely lowered the wheels enough
at installation, and they wore down faster than they would have if
they'd been tightened more in the first place. *

Later I did remove the doors** and though I knew they were heavy, they
were much heavier than that. *Two layers of glass, each thicker than
an average window I think, and I barely got them off and lying down
without dropping them. *I may have leaned one and if it started to
move after setting it, I wouldn't have been able to stop it.

So I'd urge you to have a competent helper.

I don't remember if I retracted the rollers before trying to remove
the doors. *It might have meant having to lift the doors less,
although maybe you can only force them lower, but when you lift the
door the rollers hang as low as they can go whether the screw is
retracted or not.

**, can't remember why (although it might have to do with putting a
burglar alarm switch in the channel. *It's set so the door can be open
4 inches and the alarm set, but if the door is opened more than that
the alarm goes off. This meant using roller switches, drilling into
the basement, and in one case snaking the wire through the ceiling of
the basement family room.

Warning: When adjusting the rollers, take the weight of the door off
of them first! I learned that the hard way. Two sets of rollers
later I knew to do it. There just isn't a whole lot of meat holding
them in the clamp, once they slip they are ruined. This was on an
Anderson door built back in the early 80s.

Harry K