Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default ASUS laptop won't charge

You can familiarize yourself with many components, parts etc, by looking at
catalogs and manufacturers' websites of same items.

Another clue to look for on circuit boards, are the component designation
legends sometimes screenprinted onto the boards before they're
stuffed/populated with te components.
Fuses, for example, are generally designated Fx (F101, F200 etc). The
components on that particular board may, or may not, be clearly marked.. but
as you take more stuff apart (and it sounds like you will be), you'll become
more familiar with various components' appearances.
Eventually, you'll be able to spot items as scarce as SMT fuses very
quickly, at a glance.

That's how it gets started. Before ya know it, you'll have piles of stuff
sitting around to tear apart. It's not like there is likely to be a shortage
of inoperative electronic gear, any time soon.

Alternatively, research websites for similar problems with the same
brand/model of laptop. Having a little too much knowledge never hurt anyone
that I know of.

Save shortcuts to helpful websites and make some notes (paper or text files)
for future use.

Generally, open fuses aren't the only problem, but with a charging circuit,
it's possible that a weak or defective/worn out battery may have caused the
fuse to open.
Checking other components in the vicinity with an ohmeter may reveal other
stressed or faulty components.
Many modern components don't show visible signs of being defective, so a
decent DMM digital multimeter will prove to be very useful in doing quick
checks of various components.
Working on and testing low voltage circuits is generally fairly safe, but be
sure to read and understand the cautions regarding safe use of testing
equipment and use the precautionary info to develop safe work practices.

Over the years I've heard/read that there are some good DVDs covering a lot
of topics related to basic electronic circuits, so some of those may be
beneficial.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

This is where I have to admit to a considerable amount of ignorance. What
would a surface mounted fuse look like and would it be visibly blown?

Tim
(apologies for stupid quoting. Using my wife's Vista disabled laptop).