Posted to comp.sys.laptops,sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default ASUS laptop won't charge

On Nov 19, 12:18*am, Tabby wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:54*pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in ...
Tim Downie wrote:

*wrote in ...

It can be as simple as an open fuse (but it'll be a surface-mount
soldered
in fuse). *It sounds like the charging circuitry isn't doing its job.
Look for
surfacemount MOSFETs that have failed if the fuse isn't the problem
(or if the fuse, when replaced, blows again).

This is where I have to admit to a considerable amount of ignorance. *What would a surface mounted fuse look like and would it be visibly blown?

Tim
(apologies for stupid quoting. *Using my wife's Vista disabled laptop).

No insult intended, but it sounds like this task might be beyond your
abilities. *First most laptops are not easy to disassemble.

I've taken a few apart. *What's more, I've put most of them back together again. ;-)

*You could
very well do more damage than good. *If this computer is worth anything,
you might try to find someone who has some skill repairing electronic items.

It's several years old and an "extra" laptop in the household. *I doubt it would be economically worth trying to get repaired unless the cost is low enough.

it wont be remotely worth it

I won't deny that it's probably beyond my skills. I was just hoping there might be something obvious that was within my ability.

Tim

regrettably not

NT- Hide quoted text -

The simplest and cheapest workaround for such problems is to buy on
eBay a "spares or repairs" machine that uses the same battery and hope
the charger circuitry still works. More elegantly, you can get
standalone chargers for some batteries, but the cost will be about the
same.

Chris