Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodging a slate roof patch

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:52:02 -0800 (PST), Tabby wrote:

Genuine slates are very cheap, I cant see any point pathcing with
anything else, unless you're truly brassic.

Agreed, just replaced a few slates on our roof. The 10 x 20" slates
were about £1.20 each. Slaters ripper £17 ish, box of 4 x 40 mm
galvanised clouts couple of quid and some plastic "sim-fix"
retainers, expensive at about 30p
each.

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/p...sories/fixings
/ubbink-sim-fix-refurbishment-slate-strap-.html

http://tinyurl.com/352uqn4

I like these as they hold the bottom edge of the slate down as well
as stopping it slipping out, unlike a strip of lead. They are black
so virtually invisible on the roof, unlike a strip of lead.

Others have posted links to guides on the procedure, it's very
simple. The hardest part I found was getting the top of the
replacement slate onto the top lath. My ripper could do with being an
inch or two longer so it can come in from the side and still easily
reach the top lath whilst allowing the replacement slate to slide up
it.

What may not be obvious is always work from a roof ladder do not walk
up the slates as you will crack 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave.