Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 18, 9:51*am, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 06:35:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:23 am, Ron wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:06 am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 18, 7:46 am, Ron wrote:

I was at best buy a maybe a month ago, in the 47" tv section, all tvs,
a whole wall were being fed 720p or 1080i except one tv. I immediatly
noticed it was much sharper, the saleman confirmed only that one was
on a Blue Ray player doing 1080p. it was Avatar. The difference was
obvious.

Did you even read the article that I posted????? They tested the TV's
with a Blu-ray players with the same source material.

I read it, but I went to best buy and saw my own test, there was no
comparison, 1080p is the way to go. Just wait until they put out 2160p!

That is not what you said. You said a side-by-side comparison with
720p, 1080i and 1080p as the source material.

Whatever......you obviously have better eyes than me and all of the
NUMEROUS people that have done side-by-side comparisons and said there
is NO visual difference (minimal at best) between a 50" 720 or 1080 at
10-12 ft away when tested with a 1080p source (Blu-ray player). Keep
wasting your money and drinking the Best Buy Kool-Aid.

I think one big factor here that hasn't been mentioned is he is
apparently relying on BestBuy's statement of what the sources were.
Given that the typical floor person there is clueless or worse, who
knows what the real sources were for what he was looking at.

You can't really judge TVs in a typical mass merchant store, unless
your living room has similar lighting.

Manufacturers of all televisons have a preset for the picture called
"vivid" or similar, that is universally known as "Torch Mode". It is a
preset where everything is cranked way up, so the picture still looks
like something when displayed under a few billion watts of florescent
lighting. It is not a setting that should be used in the home unless
you are awaiting cataract surgery. Televisions in stores are set to
torch mode. You aren't seeing anything that can be fairly or
accurately evaluated.

At least we can agree on that....must be a sign of the Apocalypse.