Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 18, 6:39*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 17, 8:45*pm, Bill Gill wrote:

On 11/17/2010 1:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Oh, ye who are much smarter than *&&^%$) *Verizon (if one can ever
reach a "human'):

1. *I may have to break down and buy a new 32"TV -- which I hate to
do, given the small number of channels I watch out of the gazillion
available.

Am in throes of trying to understand the pros& *cons of LCD vs LED.
The little research I have done on-line, e.g.http://
www.ledvslcdtv.com/ *as well as others, has left me more confused than
ever.

I don't want to spend "x" today if the technology is going to take a
quantum leap tomorrow.

Your thoughts on Led vs Lcd welcome.

2. *A supposedly knowledgeable friend told me that paying more for a
1080 pixels TV is justified only if images are transmitted in 1080.
Can images be transmitted either way? *Or is it a function of the
receiver? (Showing my ignoranceg)

Your thoughts on 1080 vs 720 greatly appreciated.

HB

In regard to 1080 vs 720. *The results of several tests I have
read about indicate that for TVs less than 40 inches (some say
50) you can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. *Before
you buy compare some at the store to make sure, but it is something
you should be able to see for yourself.

Bill- Hide quoted text -

do you mean 720p and 1080i, yes they are the same, not 1080p, its
double the resolution- Hide quoted text -

1080p isn't double the resolution of 1080i. Both display exactly the
same number of pixels on the screen. The difference is that 1080i
displays odd rows in one scan pass, even rows in the next scan pass.
If P in fact had twice the resolution, the difference would between
the two would be striking. In fact, P is only slightly better.

For our friend considering a 32" TV, I'd say the difference beween
720P and either 1080i or p isn't going to be noticeable on that size
display.