Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Bowling ball muller?

Chet wrote:
The carver I built is based on rotating a 5 gal bucket with 1/2 hp
motor using belts to reduce the rpms...
A frame holds a shaft with a pair of curved 'carvers' that can be
adjusted in height.
At first I really liked the system because you can mix the sand and
clay and get a great mix.
You then add water until the 'green sand' starts forming in sheets.
A compression test at this point reveals good detail and a clean
break. But using the carver for reconditioning is a different story...
too
much clumping and stalling...

Are you screening your sand to break up the big chunks ? 1/4" hardware
cloth on a frame similar to a deep flask works very well for this . Also ,
I've found that if I mix my sand up in the bucket , chunks and all , then
come back later after the moisture has had time to equalize a bit that the
chunks are lots easier to break up . Of course if you're doing a lot of
casting you'll need a lot of sand ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps