Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ronald Raygun Ronald Raygun is offline

Default Energy Consumption of energy efficient bulbs....

ant wrote:

RIght...looks like this now makes sense ;-)

I powered the whole place down then turned on as many energy efficient
lights as I could find accessible and totalled the Wattage for them up
to 126W
I then took meter readings every 10 minutes and after 1 hour had used
very approximately 0.28 Kwh however my wife came home in the middle of
my test and I inadvertaintly, being a good husband...put the kettle
on...Doh!. Anyway, I reboiled after the readings to figure out it used
about 0.042Kwh (2.6Kw for 1 Min) ...subtrating that from my reading
gives 0.238 Kwh implying a draw of 240W which is double the ratings of
the sum of those bulbs but not as bad as my original readings
looked...I need to therefore run this for a longer period, and without
boiling the kettle ;-)

Incidently, My meter has 800 Imp/Kwh next to the flashing light and I
recorded about 29 seconds between flashes (eliminating the kettle
error)...that works out as 1 Hour / 29 Seconds = 124 FLashes.......
124 / 800 = 0.155 Kwh...so 155 Watts which is much closer to what
those bulbs added up to...

You have a problem here, because you've got two conflicting answers,
one based on the meter reading and one on the flash rate. Since they're
both from the same meter, the results you get should be the same!

Your flashes tell you 155W, your readings tell you 238W. The ratio
is about 0.65, and coincidentally that's also the ratio of 19 to 29.
Are you sure the flash intervals weren't 19 seconds instead of 29?