Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_17_] Andy[_17_] is offline

Default How to remove this unusual light switch?

On Nov 17, 8:24*am, Jonathan Sachs wrote:
Andy wrote:
I would first turn the light on.... Then start flipping breakers
until it goes off....

Thank you for pointing out a problem I hadn't considered. I'm
replacing the switch because it is broken. Because it is broken, I
can't turn the light on! How can I tell when I've found the right
switch?

Glad I could help.

I would follow the other poster's advice about shutting off the whole
breaker box.

Or maybe cover it with a picture and run a whole new circuit.

I can test the potential across the terminals with a volt meter, but
it's a three-way switch, and I'm not sure how the test works with
them... at least, not sure enough to want to bet my life on it.

Then use a sheetrock knife and cut a small border around it.
You may find some mounting screws.

Maybe I will. But the switch frame is exactly the size of a standard
cover plate, and if I do that I'll have an open hole around the cover
plate when I'm done. I guess I could cover it with an oversize plate,
but that seems like a heck of a way to treat my house. My wife will
see me doing this -- I got a reputation to protect!

Maybe tell your wife, "Honey, I like learning and repairing things.
But we could call someone for this job.
What do you think?"

Have a great day,
Andy