Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Shure M105E phono cartridge

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

This usenet group is called sci.electronics.repair not how you would

like it
sci.electronics.chuck_it_and_buy_new

So? There is a fine line where it is a matter of ego, instead of
repairing something.

Really? This comes up all the time on a one make classic car forum I read.
I'll open up things like switches and relays and clean them if they give
trouble. Most there seem to think it's better to buy new or used. And of
course 'new' parts that are 25 years old can have corrosion on the
contacts too. With a hobby, it doesn't matter much if it takes time to fix
something like that out of all proportion to the cost of replacement. It's
the satisfaction you get from doing it which is priceless.

--
*Wedding dress for sale. Worn once by mistake.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The silliest, normally uneconomic, job I ever did was for someone with
cerebral palsey . (first time I came across that situation where you can
comprehend someone's speech only if you do not look at their face and get
miscued by distorted vestigial "lip-reading").
He drove (as far as i could tell with only the use of 2 fingers on a heavily
modified car) 15 miles and back , twice , for me to repair the motor of a
silly 12V fan that plugged into the car cigarette lighter. This fan kept his
pet dog/ gofor/ assistant happy sitting in the passenger side foot well. It
had a unique clip arrangement so any old fan would not do. Before the days
of mobile phones so he had a distinctive car horn beep sequence and I would
go out to him. It apparently took about 1/2 hour , with assistance from his
dog , to get in and out of the car.