Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 17, 3:33*pm, (DA) wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Led-vs-LCD-TVs-and-720-pixel...

DA wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Am in throes of trying to understand the pros & cons of LCD vs LED.

It's not LCD vs. LED. There is only one LED (OLED) TV on the market (Sony
XEL-1) that I'm aware of and at a whopping 11" diagonal you are probably
not considering it, unless it's for some special application (that I'm
struggling to envision, at the $1000 sticker price)

It's LCD with fluorescent (uncontrolled) backlight vs. LCD with LED
(controlled) backlight. I'd say it's a no-brainer - LED backlight lets
them turn it off when black is expected which gives it deeper shades of
black (better contrast). I'd definitely go for the LED-backlit LCD TV
these days.

Your thoughts on 1080 vs 720 greatly appreciated.

Verizon will be happy to lease you an HD cable box that does output HD at
1080 (although, come to think of it, I'm not sure if it's interlaced 1080i
or full 1080p). Either way 720 looks rather disappointing compared
side-by-side with 1080

On a 50" screen from 10-12 ft away there is no noticeable difference
between 720 and 1080.