Posted to alt.home.repair
FatterDumber& Happier Moe FatterDumber& Happier Moe is offline

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/17/2010 1:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Oh, ye who are much smarter than *&&^%$) Verizon (if one can ever
reach a "human'):

1. I may have to break down and buy a new 32"TV -- which I hate to
do, given the small number of channels I watch out of the gazillion
available.

Am in throes of trying to understand the pros& cons of LCD vs LED.
The little research I have done on-line, e.g.http://
www.ledvslcdtv.com/ as well as others, has left me more confused than
ever.

I don't want to spend "x" today if the technology is going to take a
quantum leap tomorrow.

Your thoughts on Led vs Lcd welcome.

2. A supposedly knowledgeable friend told me that paying more for a
1080 pixels TV is justified only if images are transmitted in 1080.
Can images be transmitted either way? Or is it a function of the
receiver? (Showing my ignoranceg)

Your thoughts on 1080 vs 720 greatly appreciated.

HB

In regard to 1080 vs 720. The results of several tests I have
read about indicate that for TVs less than 40 inches (some say
50) you can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. Before
you buy compare some at the store to make sure, but it is something
you should be able to see for yourself.

Bill

And once you decide on what size and type you gotta have then you can
start on the other features offered. Internet ready? Wireless of
course, and how many USB ports, HDMI ports, software upgrades, VGA port
so you can hook up a computer so you can read your e-mail in 2 inch
letters from across the room and stream those videos from the xbox
......which means the computer will need a wireless mouse and
keyboard,.... and the sound system,....it's not easy trying to keep up
with all this stuff.
I use mine with OTA and the TV gets what it gets, 480 720 1080 with a
lot of streaming from online, the screen is sometimes full, sometimes
there are sidebars, some of the old shows on DTV are spooky they way
they zoom the size and clean up the old film or do whatever they do, the
people look to life like?
Now go forth and help revive the economy.