Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Shure M105E phono cartridge

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 11/17/2010 2:37 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message

In article , David
Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/16/2010 2:41 PM Tim Schwartz spake thus:

I've got a customer's turntable here with a Shure M105E
p-mount cartridge in it. The stylus is fine, but the cartridge
itself has an open winding. I've seen this in Audio Technica
and Grado cartridges over the years, but never before in a
Shure. Any chance you've got a good body without a stylus
you'd part with? (In the USA preferred. I'll gladly pay
shipping.)

Cue N. Cook with nonsense about opening up cartridge and
repairing open winding ... or at least endless speculation about
*why* it failed ...

Not quite sure why you find this something to jibe at. I love
trying to fix things which most would simply replace. Gives a great
deal of satisfaction putting one over on the makers.

Faced with the OP situation I would suspect an owner has removed a
connector using pliers and has twisted the pin in the plastic and so
internal broken wire at the output. I would .5mm disc grind in and/or
melt in around a suspect pin. Then consider chucking if break is
within a coil, but would certainly explore the construction because I
don't think I've seen inside a magnestic cartridge.

See? See? What did I tell you?

Look; I'm as DIY as anybody. I've fixed, or at least have tried to fix,
all kinds of things, some of which many people would consider hopeless.

But I recognize there are limits. N. Cook does not.

Repair a lousy magnetic cartridge? Are you serious? I'll bet he would
actually get out his .5mm disc grinder if this equipment landed in his
"shop". Sheesh.

Hey, he's free to broadcast the results of his bodgering here as much as
he likes. I'm free to ridicule him. See how that works?

--

Yeah, we see, David. But be careful. These things have a habit of
boomeranging right around, to bite you on the arse ... :-)

Arfa