Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default microwave/oven combo

On 11/16/2010 10:04 PM, Steve B wrote:

snip

reply: Yes, I know that, but the unit is 200 miles away right now. I was
just asking about the concept of whether or not a microwave can be so dead
that it cannot be repaired, no matter the cost. Of course if it is cost
prohibitive, then that's a deal breaker. I have heard of mw's that couldn't
be fixed. Maybe sealed parts. Out of production. Whatever. I had one
that my property manager said was toast, so we put it in storage and put
another in the vacation rental. The next manager saw it, and asked about
it, checked it out, and changed a fuse, and it came back to life.

I may be going to Vegas Thursday, if not, not until after Thanksgiving, WHEN
I'M GOING TO GET ALL THE PERTINENT INFORMATION on it.

I've got a combo unit. Got it brand new from craigslist from someone who
had it in their newly built home but wanted a double oven instead.

I've had to replace the microwave door, which of course cost more than a
whole new microwave would cost (around $100). I can only imagine if the
control panel were bad.

I'm sure with enough money the microwave section could be fixed. It's
really just a microwave bolted to an oven, though the microwave works
off of 220V like the oven, and the control pad for the oven is up on the
microwave. I got such a thing because it fit into the space we had (used
to have a double oven), but it's not something I liked doing.

Since it runs on 220V, probably the magnetron and fan are different than
the parts you'll find in most cheap microwaves.

If the one I have breaks then there are plenty for sale on craigslist.
Used ones sell for $200-300.