Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default microwave/oven combo

"dpb" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Nov 16, 7:29 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
My DIL has a bake oven with a combo microwave. The microwave died, and
the
repair guy said that the microwave couldn't be fixed. I find that hard

that it cannot be repaired, no matter the cost. Of course if it is cost
prohibitive, then that's a deal breaker. I have heard of mw's that
couldn't be fixed. Maybe sealed parts. Out of production. Whatever. I
had one that my property manager said was toast, so we put it in storage
and put another in the vacation rental. The next manager saw it, and
asked about it, checked it out, and changed a fuse, and it came back to
life.

I may be going to Vegas Thursday, if not, not until after Thanksgiving,
WHEN I'M GOING TO GET ALL THE PERTINENT INFORMATION on it.

Wasn't aware anybody had made the combinations for quite a long
time--we've got one (GE) but it's 30 yr old. The magnetron for it was
still available last I looked a year or so ago. They're not cheap but
I've been tempted to order one for a spare as would hate to give up the
feature as there's no room for a countertop unit.

The problem could be in the interlock; there's a solenoid in the door lock
system that is _NOT_ available w/ no suggested replacement; one would have
to find something to cobble up in it's place if that were it. I can
imagine that would be in the "nonrepairable" category for a standard-duty
repairman.

Speaking of such ............ I called a repairman in Las Vegas for a built
in oven. He came, charged $75, which he would gladly take off the bill if I
had him do the work. The motherboard was shot, and it would be $650 to fix.
I pulled out the unit, and got the tekkie sheets taped to the pouch on the
side of the unit. Pulled the plug and reinserted, wrote down the error
code, and found out it was the Interlock. Went to a local shop, bought one
for $32, and fixed it. Called the company and asked for a refund. No way,
Jose. So, I told them I'd be calling the local news channel that loves
these stories. No, NO, don't do that, we'll have that refund right over
there this afternoon when one of our guys has an appointment in that area.
Check was in the mailbox before sunset. That's the scenario I'm afraid of,
and I live in a very little town, so there's a good chance of finding an
honest repairman here, but there's probably not a lot of them. We have a
lot of social contacts, so will probably be able to find one once we get the
unit up here.