Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5e v Cat6 install is it worth the difference in price?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:10:51 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

I can happily stream Full-blown HDTV from PC to Xbox-360 while

only
using a snippet of bandwidth. My other guess is that digital

media
will speed up through improved compression techniques and

technology
requiring LESS bandwidth than is currently needed. Certainly in a
domestic capacity at least.

I doubt that, the current compression technology chucks stuff away and
degrades the image.

I doubt it as well as "Full-blown HDTV" runs at 1Gbps. Blue-ray
runs at 40Mbps, hardly "a snippet of bandwidth" on a 100Mbps LAN. I
guess the post might have Gigabit LAN but that requires kit either
end of the link that can handle data at that rate. The link may well
be running at 1Gbps but if the kit working flat out can only manage
200Mbps...

Just because broadcast "HD" telly uses 10Mbps doesn't mean it's any
good. It is noticeably degraded by the compression.

As for Cat5e v Cat6 as other have said put it in such that it can be
used to pull something "better" in at a later date. Cables don't pull
round bends very well so have access at any bends. Is Cat6 that much
more than Cat5e? The majority of the cost in putting cables in is the
labour and access not the bit of PVC and copper.

--
Cheers
Dave.