Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default 2 prong plug made into working 3 prong plug?

Robert Neville wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Nov 16, 10:31=A0am, wrote:
I have some power equipment that needs a new cord.
The current cord has only 2 prongs.
Can I buy a 3 prong power cord and just attach the ground to the case
of the power tool? =A0Is this what the 3rd prong does?
Would this make is safer?

Does a GFCI also work on a power tool with just 2 prongs?

Thanks
Bonnie

Yes and Yes

IIRC, most power tools with two prog plugs are double insulated. That means
grounding the case doesn't buy you much.

If the insulation FAILS for any reason, it doesn't matter whether it
was originally single, double, triple insulated...
So, grounding should make THIS tool safer.
But
Having another place to put your hand on ground may not
make the SHOP safer.
Bottom line, safety is a SYSTEM problem.