Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Cat5e v Cat6 install is it worth the difference in price?

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
On 16/11/2010 12:28, RoundSquare wrote:
I'm about to change the dining room floor and while at it thought I would
run some Cat5e to where the TV / PS3 lives back to the router / slave PC
in
the hall cupboard.
Is there any advantage on using Cat6?
The rest of the house has been done in Cat5.
I'd hate to do it then find I really need Cat6 in a year or so.

Firstly I would suggest fibre more a realistic scenario than wire if
you're looking at the next 5+ years of "future-proofing", especially
when FTH becomes a reality.
And.... with so many millions of miles of Cat5e throught the worlds
offices I shouldn't wonder if technology will allow further mutations of
what speeds and frequencies can be passed along plain old twisted wires
at the same time to upgrade capacity without upgrading network, in the
same way telephone wires have had an almost never ending lease of life
through the decades. I remember when 14.4kbps from my US Robotic modem
was considered the highest speed posible.

I remember less speed than that being available.

I can happily stream Full-blown HDTV from PC to Xbox-360 while only
using a snippet of bandwidth.
My other guess is that digital media will speed up through improved
compression techniques and technology requiring LESS bandwidth than is
currently needed. Certainly in a domestic capacity at least.

I doubt that, the current compression technology chucks stuff away and
degrades the image.
Compressing more will result in an even worse image.

Hover all that's pretty pointless worrying about as there is no life
beyond December 2012 anyway so worry about the now and don't waste time
worrying about the what-if?s

Can you donate all your goods to me on at the end of 2012 then as you wont
be needing them.