Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Governor Issues

On Nov 16, 9:45*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I remember from some where, that consumer model generators are
designed for about 200 hours run time. Which is more hours than most
get. Mine got about 10 hours in the 10 years I've owned it.

In the box, with the generator, are a quart of oil and a spray can of
ether.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message

m...

How old is the genset, what kind of run time?

1992. *Maybe 100 hours. *A few good runs during blackouts and a lot of
half
hour test runs.

I try to test run it periodically and turn off the gas flow to let it
run
out of gas. *I don't know if that drains the carb bowl or not. *I
change
out the gas if it's been in the tank a long time or just let it run
out of
the tank. *I sometimes use Sta-bil but not all the time; sometimes
it's
better just to replace the gas and use it elsewhere.

I let mine run the bowl dry. I put stabil in the gas and I just keep
a little gas in it so I can test run it every couple months. If I
have no call to use it for a year or so I drain all the gas in it and
put in a little fresh gas in for the next test run.

I know that fuel exposed paper gaskets can shrink when they dry. For
the most part they should swell back up when exposed to gas again.
Occasionally something might need tightening if something still
leaks. Those small carbs only have a few gaskets on them.

Depending on how and where it is stored it might be worth while to use
some of the marine engine store spray on it. It's basically a spay
oil used to store marine engines over the winter. You spray it down
the carb until you manage to stall the engine. Or shut it down while
it's flooded with oil if you can't quite stall it.

I spray ether down carbs to get things to start but never down the
spark plug hole. That really is a bad idea as the cylinder below the
rings is lubricated with spashed oil. Too much ether will wash by the
rings and leave the cylinder walls dry. It shoudl reoil pretty
quickly but there still is no reason to do it.