George

Default "safe" bookcase dimesions?

Even commercial chests of drawers are now shipped with anchor straps and
warnings not to use them as stepladders. Have to say that the tack
strip/carpet (sometimes molding) observation is right on target.

"RWM" wrote in message

I disagree with Mike's belief that you should demand a new bookcase, but
agree that it would have been nice if they told you during the design
process that it should be attached to the wall. Every tall bookcase that

have looked at in a furniture store comes with instructions that it must

be
secured to the wall. Even at 15" deep stability can be a problem. Many
times the instability has nothing to do with the design, but with the

floors
& walls in the house. Molding on bottom of the wall, or the nail strip

for
carpets, can make the bookcase want to tip forward. My suggestion is to
attach it to the wall.

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point, WA