Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Cat5e v Cat6 install is it worth the difference in price?

On Nov 16, 5:13*pm, David Robinson
wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:19*pm, Tabby wrote:

On Nov 16, 12:28*pm, "RoundSquare" bigbad@hole wrote:

I'm about to change the dining room floor and while at it thought I would
run some Cat5e to where the TV / PS3 lives back to the router / slave PC in
the hall cupboard.
Is there any advantage on using Cat6?
The rest of the house has been done in Cat5.
I'd hate to do it then find I really need Cat6 in a year or so.

Cheers.

How far do you think computers will change in 10 or 20 years?

;-) far enough to not need Cat5 or Cat6! I don't think any network
cabling you could have conceived of in 1990 would be in any way
relevant today.

10M ethernet over coax from about 85 would still be serviceable today.
Maybe I should have been less vague on the time span, but point is
there will be a period where some of todays standards are still
usable, some not. OTOH there's far more cat5 installed than cat6, and
that factor alone makes a difference to what remains viable.

Placing a few net cables in parallel costs next to nothing extra, and
could prolong service further.

NT