Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory [UK] Brian Gregory [UK] is offline

Default Wikipedia?

"Froot Bat" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 00:57:04 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:
"Froot Bat" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:21 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:43:31 -0800,
wrote:

What's happened to Wikipedia? Have they gone bust? If you try to go to
it now the browser hangs or you get a blank page.

If you are even in doubt whether a web site host is reachable,
try using

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.COM/

A totally pointless website, created by someone at the ultimate
pointless website, Twitter.

A website is reachable if you can reach it. If not, it's unreachable.
It doesn't make any difference if other people can access it or not.

I suppose it makes no difference if you're just going to sit there and do
nothing about it.

And what exactly do you seriously think you can do about it? For all
your mad ping/traceroute/DNS skillz, unless you're actually a tech or
admin where the problem is, the answer is: absolutely sod all.

I wouldn't sit and do nothing. I'd employ my many years of experience
to know that, whatever the problem is, it will be fixed eventually by
the people with the responsibility and ability to fix it, and I'd get
on with something else.

If I _really_ wanted to see what was on an unavailable page I'd try
and find a cached version of it, or even the Wayback Machine, which I
use frequently for sites linked to in, say, old forum posts that no
longer exist.

But if you want to report the problem and work round it or get it fixed
then
it's very nice to know whether the site is down or if something else
wrong.

Like I said: it makes no difference.

How would you fix a website that isn't yours? How would you fix your
ISP's connection? How would you fix a problem between your ISP and the
website you want to access?

Oh that's right, for all your jerking off with your network tools, you
can't, can you.

Sometimes these people do actually listen when you email or phone them about
the problem. Less than you wouls hope I admit but they do sometimes.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.