Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Article - Most home renovations don't pay off

Red Green wrote:
For your Sunday reading...

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...te-homeimprove

Hmm.

I can think of a couple of "home improvements" that WILL add more to the
sale of a house.

1. Trees. A smallish tree can be had for $25. As it grows it increases in
value.

2. Insulation. It not only adds value to the house, but, pays back the owner
the longer between adding it and selling the house.

Most of us are somewhat handy and little things - for relatively little
cost - can add to the overall value. For example, my 4-car garage came with
one garage door opener. Diligently watching Craigslist yielded one more for
free (needing a $17 gear) and another for $50. I'm still looking for the
fourth.

I replaced a crummy enameled kitchen sink with a stainless one (with faucet
and flexible washer) for a mere $15.

And so on.

Many times it's the little things, and attention to detail, that can make a
house a great attraction.