Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Another reason ...

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Baron" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) Inscribed thus:

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
nor to cover the countryside and coastline with stupid ugly and
noisy windmills,

Strangely, I slept in a caravan in the middle of a wind farm in the
NE of Scotland just a few weeks ago. Was attending a classic car
race meeting. Those weren't noisy. Depending on wind direction you
could sometimes just hear a 'swish swish'. But this was in a very
isolated part of the country. Most parts of the UK have the distant
sound of aircraft, etc.

I agree with Dave ! I too have done the same, slept in a camper van
in
the middle of a wind farm ! No real noise at all.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

I've been to wind farms myself. The only noise is sort of a muted
'whoosh-whoosh', and that with a standard 3 blade unit. There are
spiracle types made to make even less noise.

I think people that don't want alternative energy are equating
windmills with giant fans, which make much more noise because they
are moving air, and not air moving them.. BIG difference!

Hi Arfa,

I don't think that there are many people who are sane, that are
against 'alternative' energy, per se. The trick is that the word needs
to be combined with that other little word "practical". That seems to
get forgotten in all this. PV panels are all very well, if you've got
a country below say 45 deg N, with a lot of unused desert available.
Even then, you have the logistics and losses involved in shifting the
power that you generate, to anywhere that it's needed. In the UK, and
most of Europe, there just isn't enough year round sun of any
intensity, to make the projects feasible, which is why other countries
in the EU have tried it, and rejected it. But of course, the dumb old
UK have got to give it a go themselves, rather than learn from others'
mistakes ...

Ahh, but we are supposed to be the technological leaders... aren't we !

Likewise, what use are thousands of windmills that don't generate for
at least 50% of the time, due to the winds being either too low in
speed or, staggeringly, too high ! I haven't looked much into the
practicalities of the tidal windmills that are now being installed,
but it strikes me that the maintenance costs of these are likely to be
rather high, and the lifetime in corrosive salt water, comparatively
short.

Yes maintenance costs bother me too. I wonder how long it will be
before we start scrapping systems because of those costs.

We already have an 'alternative' power technology that is both clean
and practical, and that is nuclear. I really don't know why people
have such a problem with it. The French don't.

I agree the French have embraced the Nuclear nettle and have taken huge
steps to protect the plants from attack by terrorists and the like.
I've seen first hand the twenty foot, triple razor wire, barrier fences
and the deep ditches between them. All the cameras and IR lighting
used to monitor the area. Not small areas either ! The one that I
visited was a 20Km drive just to get around it. They are not very
visible either, having lots of trees and such planted around reduces
its visual impact. Unlike a UK power station, you could drive right
past a French one and not even know it was there.

When we are all sitting
shivering in our houses because some eastern bloc altercation has cut
off our gas supplies, and waiting for the sun to shine and the wind to
blow, the French will be chortling away, offering to sell us even more
of their nuclear power than they do now, at even more inflated prices.
I appreciate that there are potential issues with recycling waste
nuclear material, but I am sure that these are not insurmountable.

Hasn't the Uk government just got into bed with EDF on the basis that
the French will share there Nuclear technologies, or they hope they
will. Either way EDF will maximise the extraction of profits from the
UK populace to pay for it !

And don't make the mistake of thinking that 'alternative power' is all
about responsible people trying to save the planet. It's not. Whilst
such scientists and eco-minded people may have been at the centre of
the original concepts, it is now all about big business. Selling the
public these technologies by way of the hysterical global warming
issue (trends now indicate a cooling again BTW, much the same as we
were being told back in the 70s) and pseudo science that has little if
any foundation in fact, is making huge amounts of money for companies
who are having their products built by the biggest industrial
polluters in the world, and don't actually give a toss about green
issues ...

Arfa

Agreed ! The feudal system is alive and well... The serfs will pay !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.