Posted to uk.d-i-y
Piers Finlayson Piers Finlayson is offline

Default Cat5e v Cat6 install is it worth the difference in price?

On 2010-11-16 12:28:59 +0000, RoundSquare said:

I'm about to change the dining room floor and while at it thought I
would run some Cat5e to where the TV / PS3 lives back to the router /
slave PC in the hall cupboard.
Is there any advantage on using Cat6?
The rest of the house has been done in Cat5.
I'd hate to do it then find I really need Cat6 in a year or so.

You're unlikely to need/spot any difference between cat5e and cat6
anytime soon. And cat6 is more of a faff to cable up (thicker, larger
minimum bend radius, etc).

Having said that as part of my rewire I'm using cat6, cos I never want
to have to rewire again and it would be a shame to have to just because
I wanted to save some pennies now.